Welcome to the Muddiford Inn.
We are told The Muddiford Inn was a former 16th Coaching Inn. To this day it continues to be the centre of the community. Various extensions have been added over the years including a large car park opposite the Inn, which was created from pasture land.
In 1934 there are photographs showing it as The New Inn Muddiford, where it was run as a small Hotel employing Chamber Maids and a full title of staff. There was also a small shop in the original part of the building where the bar is now sited. At the front of the grounds were petrol pumps, which served the local people. The pumps were eventually disbanded and removed. Needless to say, the Hotel continued to flourish.
During World War II the New Inn was used as an Army Catering Corp base, the rooms being used for the servicemen and woman and the Restaurant for their dining needs. Historical photographs in the Inn show young members of the Morris Dancers who have now matured and are still as loyal to The Muddiford as they were then. Years ago any special birthday or coming of age was greeted with special tankards which are still in the bar.
Eventually there was more demand for a larger Restaurant, which still exists today, with a quiet, understated ambience and serving only the very best of food.
Excellent quality food is prepared by a fully qualified Chef, Nigel Powell*, who takes pride in preparing and cooking local produce. He is always delighted to hear how his guests have thoroughly enjoyed their meals and compliment him and his staff.